Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Putting on the spiritual armor (Part 1)

I don't know about you, but I've never quite known how to put on my spiritual armor according to Ephesians 6:11. What I mean is, getting out of bed and rattling through the dressing ritual in a mechanical way never struck me as very practical: "I gird my loins with truth ... I put on the breastplate of righteousness ... etc." So I never really bothered with it.

The other day, though, a better way to look at the armor occurred to me. Perhaps it will help you as well.

Perhaps Paul intended the picture of the armor as a mnemonic - a memory aid of our weapons in spiritual warfare. Just like we might choose a key word J-O-Y to help us to remember that putting Jesus first, then others, then yourself spells JOY, so he may have used the metaphor of the armor to help us walk with all our weapons. In other words, it's not so much the part of the armor that is significant but what it reminds us of: TRUTH, RIGHTEOUSNESS, PROCLAIMING THE GOSPEL OF PEACE, FAITH, SALVATION, THE WORD OF GOD.

Next time I will take a closer look at these weapons and how they help us in our warfare.

P. S. Thanks to all who signed up already through FB! Please remember to confirm me as author if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment