Wednesday, July 1, 2009

On loving other Christians

Have you ever felt the Holy Spirit starting to dig in a new area in your life, and suddenly you realize that he's opening a whole can of worms where you thought everything was pretty much in order?

Well, he's been convicting me about something by dropping little thoughts here and there. I must confess that there are some - shall I say many - Christians I don't really like. With some it's their political view, with others their theology, with still others the fact that they are on TV and I'm not. Which is, most likely, envy on my part.

Yet Jesus told his disciples, "Love one another, as I have loved you." This little bomb shell has more power than the largest atom bomb. First, it is a commandment, not an option. If you want a commentary on this commandment, read 1 John. It makes you shudder. Second, how does Jesus love us? Unconditionally, even when we blow it, even when he has to correct us because we are wrong. Ouch! Third, it is meant for us, not just for the original apostles (see Mt. 28). I'm convinced, if we Christians took it seriously, our churches would be radically different.

So I'm embarking on a journey to love my fellow Christians. Keep tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment